Ensure leisure and education for the whole family
Not only is Dunkirk a family-friendly city but it is culture- and sport-friendly too, with 90% of the population living less than 15 minutes from a sports facility.
Do you like sports activities? You’ll be in your element with the ice skating rink, golf course, water sports centre, bowling alley, etc.
Or do you prefer creative and artistic activities? The conservatory, theatres, concert venues and even a jazz club await you.
ACTIVITIES FOR ALL!
Do you like feeling the buzz of watching sport? Whether you attend BCM basketball or USDK handball games, Corsaires ice hockey or USLD football matches, each offers the perfect way to enjoy sport as a family in that welcoming, typically Dunkirk atmosphere.
Need some inspiration for your outings?
You can find plenty of leisure ideas on:
% of the population live less than 15 minutes from a sports facility
professional sports clubs in Dunkirk
ultramodern Olympic skating rink
18-hole golf course
A COMPREHENSIVE RANGE OF EDUCATION FROM EARLY CHILDHOOD TO POST SECONDARY SCHOOL
With more than 300 nursery schools, primary schools, secondary schools and universities, Dunkirk is a comprehensive educational hub from early childhood to post-secondary education:
- More than 40 nursery schools and kindergartens will welcome your little ones with arms wide open and support them in their educational development. For that matter, you’ve the chance to give them a bilingual French-English education from a very young age at the Maison d’assistants maternels (the day care centre) in Wormhout.
- 260 secondary schools to prepare your teenagers for success in ideal conditions as almost 94% of our high schoolers pass their secondary school leaving exams which is slightly above the French average of 93.7%* (source: L’Express)
- Post-secondary education: With the ULCO, IUT, EILCO, and ISCID-CO, work-study and apprenticeship-based technical fields, a dense economic fabric of companies to welcome apprentices and new graduates, the universities in our territory meet the expectations of the large companies in the sector to provide them with the talent they need.
- Just 30 mins away by train, the European city of Lille rounds off the package with no less than 7 engineering schools, numerous prestigious business schools (EDHEC, IESEG, etc) and a range of training courses for all occupations.
HIGH QUALITY FACILITIES
The Dunkirk territory is renowned for the quality and density of its facilities for the size of the agglomeration: 90% of population lives just 15 minutes from a sports facility.
See below for the facilities that will delight both adults and kids.
- Linéo Water Sports Centre. The latest addition to Dunkirk’s water sports centres, Linéo offers a modern and sustainable environment. It has a 25-metre sports pool, child’s play area and a playground slide…. Plus a steam room, sauna and spa await the adults for a spot of idyllic relaxation.
- Le Bateau Feu – Scène Nationale is a space designed specifically for artistic production, as a multidisciplinary venue for shows and cultural events for the community. It is home to a varied cultural programme throughout the year that will appeal to the young and old alike.
- Michel Raffoux Ice Skating Rink The home of the Corsaires, the Dunkirk ice hockey team, is an ultramodern ice skating rink (officially opened in 2019) meeting Olympic standards. These two rinks provide the perfect opportunity to discover the joys of gliding around on your own, with friends or with your family and kids.