EFFICIENCY AND CARBON SOBRIETY
- Alvance Aluminium Dunkerque: Operational excellence and monitoring of disruptive innovation research (“inert anode” and “low concentration CO2 capture”).
- Dunkirk-Port is leading decarbonisation projects linked to logistics and handling: quay-based ship services (Environmental Ship Index) and LNG ship fuelling by barge.
- Steel recycling: Steel can be recycled over and over again and one of ArcelorMittal’s driving forces behind decarbonisation is the increased use of recycled steel in its production, both in its electric steel plants and in the blast furnace sector. In Dunkirk, ArcelorMittal is thus doubling its use of recycled steel, to reach 2 MT/year.
- Ferroglobe Manganèse France:
– A gas recovery project with steam and electricity production (ORC, Organic Rankine Cycle) envisaged during 2022 with an eventual connection to the heat superhighway.
- The company studies the possibility of capturing CO2 on cold gas at the furnace outlet and/or hot gas at the boiler outlet if the ORC project is implemented
(the results of the study are expected by the end of 2021).
- A subsidiary of the Eramet group, Comilog Dunkerque plans to update its electric arc furnace to provide options for heat recovery (anticipated in 2023). And gas capture at a later stage.
- Alvance Aluminium Dunkerque: Project involving the recycling of secondary aluminium from electrolysis for CO2 capture.
- Community territory project: A heat superhighway connecting industrialists and logistics coordinators in the industry and port area to collect, transport, transform and use the waste heat (project planned for 2023-2027).
- Epiflex : Industrial symbiosis project for the purpose of using energy flows, liquids and materials.
The Dunkirk basin is part of the most advanced territories in the area of decarbonisation with two studies in particular: :
1) The Heat superhighway (technical and economic feasibility study on an interindustry waste heat network).
2) A prospective study on CO2 to define a 20-year territorial roadmap..
A territorial diagnosis about hydrogen is underway.
- 635 GWh of waste heat will be used for the heat superhighway, from a pool of 5,400 GWh
“Our Dunkirk industrial site occupies a major position in the Dunkirk basin. To meet our ambitious objective for reducing our CO2 emissions, we are going to invest in completely transforming out steel manufacturing process.” READ MORE
Matthieu Jehl, CEO of ArcelorMittal France
CAPTURE / PURIFICATION / STORAGE / USE
CO2 capture, storage and use (CCS/CCU) technologies will play a major role in reaching these climate objectives.
1st : The French Agency for Ecological Transition (ADEME) ranks Dunkirk as 1st in the CO2 capture and storage field (technical opinion of July 2020)
- ArcelorMittal – 3D Project: This pilot project aims to capture CO2 from steelmaking gas, then transport it, reuse or store it (CCU/CCS). The process uses the low temperature heat available in the whole plant to separate the CO2 from other gases. This process could considerably reduce CO2 capture costs compared to other technologies. A regional infrastructure would be necessary for all the local industrial companies in order to optimise the solution’s use and efficiency.
- Alvance Aluminium Dunkerque is undertaking a research project on the concentration of electrolysis tank gas for the purpose of CO2 capture.
- Northern Lights is a CO2 collection and storage project consisting of transporting, receiving and permanently storing CO2 from industrial sources in an underground geological reservoir in the North Sea. The Northern Lights service will start with collecting liquefied CO2 using a special vessel from a suitable port such as Zeebrugge or Dunkirk. Once collected, the CO2 must be sent to a coastal terminal in Norway for temporary storage.
DECARBONISATION PROJECTS REQUIRING MASSIVE HYDROGEN AND DECARBONISED ELECTRICITY PRODUCTION
Dunkirk is the perfect illustration of a high-stakes ecosystem in which hydrogen can play a decisive role in decarbonising several sectors of the economy while creating value in the territory.
“Because of the historical industrial activities present in the Dunkirk area, particularly in the Grand Port Maritime, it has all the assets to become a first-class territory by changing the scale of the hydrogen sector.” READ MORE
Philippe BOUCLY, CEO of France Hydrogène.