FLAX, AN INNOVATIVE FIBRE
The Flanders-Dunkirk territory is an important basin for flax production.
Located in the Hauts-de-France, the 2nd largest flax fibre producing region in France, Maritime Flanders in the Dunkirk area boasts the ideal conditions for growing this 100 year old plant and the transformation of this eco-fibre: a humid maritime climate, rich soil, few temperature extremes (neither too hot nor too cold) and the know-how of local flax scutchers and farmers.
France is the number one flax fibre producer in the world
The Hauts-de-France is the second largest flax fibre producing region in France
The region represents one third of the volume produced in France
The region is home to twelve flax scutching establishments and businesses (+10 employees)
A POOL OF CO-PRODUCTS TO BE RECOVERED
90% of global flax production is intended for textile products, 60% of which is clothing. Only the plant’s long fibres can be used in the textile industry.
- Long fibres represent only 10 to 20% of the total mass of the plant. Then we have:
- The seeds from which non-food oil (paint, ink and linoleum) and press cake are produced.
- The shives which are used as animal bedding, horticultural mulch and fuel but also in the manufacture of particleboard.
- 1 hectare of flax = 5 to 8 tonnes of biomass, 50% of which is shives.
BÂTILIN, 100% LOCAL BIO-SOURCED INSULATION BLOCK
Bâtilin is a brick produced using flax shives and is the same size as a breeze block. The brick is used for internal or external insulation and has a number of virtues:
- Eco-friendly, natural and 100% local with an exceptionally low carbon footprint,
- Thermal comfort, strong insulating power,
- Perspirant (walls breathe),
- Good soundproofing quality.
The product meets the requirements of environmental regulation RE2020. Social housing landlords and architects have shown interest and test sites are underway ahead of the final market launch. In April 2022, BÂTILIN received the FFB (French Building Federation) Hauts-de-France jury prize at the NORDBAT exhibition, a real vote of confidence!
A FLAX SHIVE-POWERED BOILER
The Hauts de Flandre Greater District Council (CCHF) is undergoing a transition and fostering sustainable economic development. It’s also a recognised “Rev3* Innovative Territory”. A specific example of this is the installation of a biomass boiler system powered by flax shives produced in the territory. It will power public buildings including the brand new Linéo aquatic centre.
- The power of the biomass boiler system = 600 kWh.
- It will be powered by 750 tonnes per year of flax shives.
- 100% of the aquatic centre’s heating requirements will be covered.
The renewable energy proportion of the future heat network will increase to 90%!
100% FLAX TUMBLER
Developed by the company D’Innov, run by Camille Deligne and her father, the flax tumbler is the talk of the town and has already won several awards. It has a number of virtues:
- Washable, reusable,
- Bio-sourced and food certified,
- 100% local, it is made from flax from Flanders and manufactured nearby.
“Mon gobelet en lin” (My Flax Tumbler) is made of a granulate, a mixture of flax fibres and a polymer derived from starch (polylactic acid). The granules are then placed into an injection moulding machine that gives the tumbler its final shape after pressure and heating.